Tuesday, March 9, 2010

March 5th Great Hall- B. Charles Johnson


I only have one select image so far. I wanted to master the shot I originally saw in my head and by the time I got it I realized my time for shooting was nearly over. I did not get a wide variety of poses. My lighting consisted of one key light shot into 2 boards, an edge light in the back w/ a strip softbox over it, and a snoot in the back pointed at the back of the mask. Julie had to hold a gobo because the snoot's light was spreading onto his chest and creating terrible highlights. After using the gobo I noticed the light on his chest was hardly visible and had someone hold a reflector to bounce light onto him. His chest is darker then I'd like but I am happy with the outcome. I had to put tape inside his mask because it was too large for his face. I feel like I learned a lot during this shoot and would love if we could do something else like this again in teams in the great hall.

3 comments:

  1. really pretty coloring. blue steel.
    Considering everything (I know you weren't completely pleased or having ease in this), I think this image looks really professional, well lit, and I like your audacity to put a white mask on a black man despite what taboo implications it could stir. bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. charliee! i love this photograph. he almost resembles a bronze statue. the way the light falls on his muscles is perfect and i love the tonality of his skin. very rugged but crisp at the same time. i know you weren't immediately pleasde with your shoot, but i think you did an amazing job! you always do!

    ReplyDelete