Thursday, March 11, 2010

Friday's Shoot

So last Friday Tim, Ryan, Jolene and I were in the black and white, 4 by 5/8 by 10 gap inspired group.   I am used to the already slow process of a large format camera, but did not expect this kind of slowness just by adding a digital back.  To take a picture:

1.  Focus on a ground glass about half the size of a normal 4 by 5 back that is twice as dark. (about 1-7 minutes)
2. Set the apeture and shutter speed. (10-60 seconds depending upon how small your fingers were)
3.  Close the lens and cock the shutter. (10 seconds)
4.  Press digital back and within 4 seconds press the shutter release. (4-30 seconds)
5. Wait for picture to show on computer. (10 seconds)
6. Check focus. (10 seconds)
7. Repeat.

With that being said, I really liked the digital back.  The idea of shooting 4 by 5 digitally is a whole new wonder because I  can achieve the same effects as before just without the process of scanning and dusting my images.  So I guess, the long shooting time is far less then the time it takes me to dust a single image (1-3 hours).  

I can't wait to use it again. 











4 comments:

  1. wow jenna, those are awesome, espically the second and last one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite is the 2nd one. she looks timid and vulnerable, you caught a good expression from her along with the cropping of her face.. it looks as though she is shying away. i don't know why you were doubting your images, looking at them again, i'm seeing how beautiful and real they are. great portraits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the selective focus, works quite well here. portraits are definitely a niche of yours.

    ReplyDelete