Monday, March 8, 2010

Great Hall Shoot

... a long day with much learned.

I will be honest, my concepts for the photoshoot were not highly pre-meditated. My ideas consisted of lighting scenarios and a few thumbnails I sketched simply involving composition of the figure.
I've shot a male nude once before, and all I knew was that my photos were not going to look like that again. I made a point to create imagery that focused on the aspect of vulnerability that comes with being nude, versus sexuality. As well, I played around with the idea of turning his body into something more of a creature, versus human. Creatures are always naked.

As a group we did have a few technical problems.
We began shooting with the P40+ with Capture One, and after a bit into Vanessa's shoot the autofocus just plain gave out. It wasn't really solved as to why. We had also taken out a Mark III, so a few of us decided to shoot both, or not, or just the Mark because of this.
The camera batteries needed to be changed. I thought I remembered somewhere in the mesh of demos that while tethered there is no need for a camera battery due to the electricity, but that just concerns the back alone it turns out. The front end of the camera requires double As every now and again. I know we all experienced the synchronizing sets all around.

For myself, my technical failures were underexposure. The lighting I had in mind was pretty dark, but over half of my photos from the P40+ were severely underexposed. I'm not 100% on the reason, but my inclination is towards how dim it was in our giant naked cove, or maybe I had lens flare in my eyes. All of my images from the Mark III are fine though, and much more sharp.
I discovered the crop lines, eventually.
Also, the colors seem weirder with the Phase camera...hm. Not an easy broad to bag.


I was pleased with these images. A mixture of somewhat commercial and..less commercial.

Shot with Mark III:



P40+ from here on:








3 comments:

  1. Bongo!
    I love your lighting in these images.. Very sharp, crisp and dramatic. I like the framing of the second image and how his figure along with the negative space create an abstract form. I normally don't like cropping at the joints (his knee), but it works here! I like the angles that his body makes. I also love the pose of the third image, but I feel like maybe it is a little tight within the frame? It might just be me... I scrolled back up to look at it and I don't mind it as much anymore. And maybe change them all to black and white? I love the tones of the first two images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice lighting and compositon

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3rd image down is killing it, looks so awesome. I know while you were shooting you were doubting the photos but after seeing these you had no reason to at all julie, these look so beautiful and soft. The last three photos are superb, the poses work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete